At least once a week, and usually on Sundays or Mondays when I have the day off and all the muscles in my body turn to jelly, I sit in bed and drink coffee all morning long. When I get hungry, usually around 11:00 or 12:00, I yell down the hall*, "David, doesn't a ______ sound really good right now?" That's his cue to make breakfast (lunch?). Yesterday, I was lying in bed being totally useless when I developed an insatiable craving for a grilled cheese sandwich. 15 minutes later, David delivered this to my bed:
Friends, I cannot even tell you the magnitude of deliciousness that is a broiled, cheesy, mustard and Worcestershire Sauce open-faced sandwich. When you wake up feeling the tiniest bit jaded, there is nothing better than one of these, hot out of the oven, to make you feel just right (along with multiple cups of coffee, of course!).
This is how you make this breakfast of champions:
1. Lightly toast a piece of hearty bread (it is especially good to use an artisan multi-grain loaf)
2. Butter one side of the toast
3. Put a layer of English mustard over the butter
4. Generously layer on some grated cheddar (you can also use thin-cut slices of cheddar)
5. Put the cheesy toast under the broiler until the cheese is melted and delicious looking
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle Worcestershire Sauce over the cheese
7. Consume. Enjoy. Feel fat and happy for the rest of the afternoon.
*David is much more of a morning person than I am. He wakes early and is productive while I doze in bed, blog surf, and drink hundreds of cups of coffee.